Established in 2009, the Sasol League is South Africa’s semi-professional women’s football league. The purpose of the league is to grow and develop women’s football in all of South Africa’s nine provinces.
Sasol, in partnership with the South African Football Association (SAFA), formed the league as a platform for female footballers to showcase their skills and to broaden the talent pool for the national women’s football teams (u/17, u/20 and Banyana Banyana)
With 16 teams in each province, the Sasol League also gives over 3600 female football players the opportunity to participate in regular competitive football throughout the year.
Through Sasol and SAFA’s annual Sasol League roadshows, the senior national women’s team coach and assistant coaches are able to scout talent for Banyana Banyana and transfer skills to the local coaches. The skills transfer is done through workshops where Sasol League coaches learn scouting techniques and coaching methods.
Each year, the Sasol League concludes with the Sasol League National Championship which pits the country’s top nine teams (each a provincial winner) against each other with the winner being crowned the Sasol League National Champion. The total prize money for the tournament is R 500 000, which is divided among teams.
Winners of the Sasol League National Championship (2009 – 2018)
- 2018: TUT Ladies (Gauteng)
- 2017: Bloemfontein Celtics Ladies (Free State)
- 2016: Bloemfontein Celtics Ladies (Free State)
- 2015: Mamelodi Sundowns Ladies (Gauteng)
- 2014: Cape Town Roses Ladies (Cape Town)
- 2013: Mamelodi Sundowns Ladies (Gauteng)
- 2012: Palace Super Falcons (Gauteng)
- 2011: Palace Super Falcons (Gauteng)
- 2010: Palace Super Falcons (Gauteng)
- 2009: Detroit Ladies (Mpumalanga)